Southern Democrats wanted to stop blacks from voting Republican any way they could. To disenfranchize the black vote, the Democrat Party implemented:
- The poll tax,
- Literacy tests,
- Grandfather clauses,
- Suppressive election procedures,
- Black codes (Jim Crow Laws)
- Whites only primaries,
- Physical violence and intimidation,
- Revisions of state constitutions, and
- Property owndership requirements.
In the early 1900s, Democrats also tried to repeal the 14th and 15th amendments. Democrats voted against every amendment or law to promote civil rights.